From our first event in August 2016, #GrillandRead has caught the attention of many book lovers and wannabe book lovers alike. It has become an occasion for young and old alike to hang out in a literary atmosphere talking about books and reading without all the dreary tasking intellectualism associated with book events. In this post, we present you 10 reasons to be at the #GrillandRead event.
- Hang out with friends and book people: This is the raison d’etre for #GrillandRead. Reading is a solitary affair. This is one reason why many people do not engage in it. #GrillandRead gives young and old an opportunity to meet people who share the same passion. It also gives non-readers a chance to come up close with readers. The result is an interchange of encouragement.
- Grilled Food and Chilled Drinks on Every Ticket: Yes, the grill in #GrillandRead stands for grilled food. For now, we provide a modest meal of grilled chicken or turkey and a drink on the ticket for all our guests. Guests who prefer heavier meals can buy more food in addition to the provisions we have made.
- Make Memories at our Photo Corner: What is an event if not the memories that you make there? Every moment is captured and e-copies are available to all our guests at no extra cost. Props are made available for the photos. Recently, we have added face painting to the mix to create a more festive atmosphere. Face painting is available for a little extra fee.
- Meet Authors: In this edition, we are having two Nigerian authors attend the event. One is Edify Yakusak author of the book, After They Left, a story of two young children who survived the horrors of the Jos crisis and got separated from their family in the process and the adventures they went through in a bid to get back together. The other is teen author Salim Hussani. His book, Bionic Evolution, is a scifi story set in an imaginary planet Avalon in 2055. The authors will be having interactive sessions at the event. Guests can buy their books and have them signed!
- Listen to Uplifting Spoken Word: Persons who are worried about the lewd lyrics of hiphop music can find a haven in spoken word. Every edition of #GrillandRead has had two guests. This edition will not be an exception. We will be having CEO of Authorpedia and Convener of Word, Rhythm and Rhyme Kukogho Iruesiri Samson and performance poet Deji Ige in attentance.
- Talk on Reading: “I fall asleep each time I pick up a book.” “What should I read?” ” Why all the fuss about reading?” These are questions that often runs through the non readers when people around them talk about reading. Our talks on reading gives answers to these and other salient reading related questions. In this edition, our speaker will be expounding the topic: Nigerians, we can read ourselves to greatness. It promises to be an eye opener for all present. Super Teacher, Presenter Diction Avenue and Convener GrillandRead will be doing justice to this topic.
- Play Games: Can we have fun without games? We shall be featuring games that everyone will enjoy. The games will be free to play once gate opens by noon. We have Word Search games, Name the Author, Name the Character, Guess the First Line, Pantomime and lots more. Winners go away with fun prizes! Remember, the earlier you arrive, the greater your chances of participating in the games!
- Auctions/Giving to Charity: While we have fun and play, we remember that there are disadvantaged people who also love to read but do not have access to quality books. We have therefore arranged for book auctions – each of our guest authors will be gifting us three of their books for the auction. We shall also have a box marked donations. You may want to put aside something, no matter how little to put in this box. Proceeds from the auctions go to charity.
- Buy Books: Ever wondered where to get quality Nigerian books to update your library? Worry no more! Twang Africa will be on ground to meet your needs. If there is a book you have always wanted to own but never seem to get around buying it, you can make special request for it to be brought to the event for you. Just message any of our social media handles –Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Introducing #GrillandRead Readathon: For the first time ever, we shall be having a readathon powered by Diction Avenue. The aim of the readathon is to be able to identify good readers. A good reader can be described as one who reads fluently, with proper sense stress and modulation. Therefore, schools get an opportunity to register their students for the readathon. The rules are simple: Each contestant will be given random pages from the books of our two guest authors to read to the audience. The person with the least errors wins. This promises to be another fun way of promoting reading!
We will have have a reading corner where people can read books before they decide if they want to buy it; an art corner with our visiting artists and gallery owners and an activity table with colouring, drawing and other activities. We remain true to our mission to keep on thinking of new ways to put together factors that make a reading event fun for everyone. You can book tickets in advance to take advantage of our group and family discounts. #GrillandReadAbuja2 is brought to you by Hedge&Pembrook the leading name in project management, construction management and cutting edge architectural and interior design. Hedge&Pembrook believes that quality should be accessible to everyone that is why they offer integrated solutions and services to the property and infrastructure sector.